Sunday, May 14, 2006

Making Love to the World


I've just finished the chapter “The God-Mad” in Oriah Mountain Dreamer's book The Call (which I highly recommend). The premise of the book is that our primary purpose in life is to be present to what is in every moment and only act when the impetus to act or do comes from the still place within. If we flow from our inner being, then we'll naturally fulfill our individual purpose as well.

I am feeling some amazing serendipity magic right now.

An excerpt:“Today, wondering at my own resistance to writing this chapter, I sit and contemplate what it would look like for me to be God-mad, for me to follow the movement that springs from my experience of the sacred life force within me and around me, right now. And I see an image of myself handing out copies of poems, ecstatic poems about experiencing the Beloved, to all those who pass a busy street corner in Toronto's financial district. The image makes me laugh. To hand out copies of poems by Rumi and Hafiz and Mirabai, by Meister Eckhart and St. Francis and Teresa of Avila, to offer them to anyone who passes, not asking for advertising or anything but simply sharing the beauty of words written by those who experienced the freedom of knowing that to which they belong–what gloriously subversive mischief! It reminds me of something Daniel Landinsky, the translator of these and many other great poets, wrote me last week. During an e-mail discussion about doing a recording of these poems, Daniel said that he thought of sharing these poems as sending 'medics into the field.' And I think, 'Yes!'

Being God-mad is being willing to find your way of making love to the world today.

The chapter also included a story of how she made a God-mad decision to take the speaking fees from her second book tour and give them away so that the tour would genuinely not be about making money but about truly sharing with others.

I am all a twitter with the serendipitous magic of reading this passage. What she describes with the poem giving vision is so close to some of what I am doing now with the Conspiracy (sharing ecstatic poems). The Conspiracy of Blessings is my way of making love to the world nearly every day. I become ecstatic and fully present to my creative endeavors when I am conspiring to bless others.

In the creating-my-bliss-work aspect of my life I have been stagnating and running in circles for a few years. Now I am experiencing a break-through and transformation that is so frickin' exciting. Generosity is the key that opened the lock to my visions of bliss, and it has a slew of positive side effect.

Oooh, here's a great story of how generosity first tapped on my shoulder and asked for my attention. Nearly a year ago I was a part of some creative focus groups by students at Artella's You-university. One of the perks of participating was receiving an intuitive portrait from artist Gretchen Little. When I received mine, Gretchen had this to say:

“I've been reading a book lately called “Fearless Living” by Rhonda Britten. I was very taken with an exercise in the book about identifying your essential self. I decided to use a pendulum to determine the essential spirit of the person I was drawing for before I started the drawing, which then in turn becomes a representation of that spirit. Your essential spirit is “Generous”.
I'd like to let the drawing talk to you directly, now, through my intuition.

'I am a bright and shining Being. I am eternal youth. I am springtime and Fire. Your name* befits you. I am the great green of the irish hills, and the green moss in the woodlands near your home. I'm looking down in the portrait because I am always just behind you, watching over you, enjoying your creations, hearing the songs of your soul. Look for me all around you - ‘generous' has become much smaller in meaning than it actually is. Paint your world with thoughts of generosity. I am with you always. Look for me.'

As I wrote those words I felt tremendous love and caring sweeping through my heart. I hope you can consciously connect with your essential spirit because she feels so wonderful!”

*My name means blooming or opening. I find my name highly appropriate for who I am, because I consider myself in a near constant state of blooming/unfolding as a human being.

Now I've found her, the spirit of generosity, in me! Isn't that amazing? This serendipitous gift is what first brought the idea of generosity's relationship to my bliss work.

I've tried doing some research online about generosity and I am sad to say there is hardly anything out there. It's weird. Usually you can put a general topic in a search engine and get all kinds of thoughts and opinions on it. But I can't find hardly anyone writing about generosity and its role in our lives. Am I truly on the evolutionary edge with a spiritual practice of generosity? Is it because it's the antithesis of our consumer culture? Or is it just that we don't talk about it? Maybe we don't talk about it because we've been conditioned to believe that we shouldn't draw attention to our generous endeavors. I'm constantly evaluating every contact I make with others about the project to be sure that I'm not coming across as holier-than-thou or miss goody goody. I am not seeking praise or attention. I just want to communicate about this process of transformation and make love to the world by blessing members of my human family.

* * * * *

I've changed the color scheme on the blog because I've had a requests due to the black background being difficult for some people to read. I hope to create a more aesthetic design later but my web skills are minimal, so it will require some time to learn more.

In response to an email I sent to a couple of Yahoo groups I'm a member of, I sent out over 20 blessings this last week. Very cool.

This week I'm working on a set of gratitude blessing packages that I will leave on the doorstep of our local women's shelter for the staff and volunteers. Also, for Mother's Day I asked to get some Blessing Rings and more cards from NepalesePaper.com to use in future blessings.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, much better for these old eyes. Thank you so much for the change!

And thanks for the blessing card you sent me in my e-mail. Good words, a good reminder. You do good work in this world.

Thank you for all you do!

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home