Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Blessing Update

Yay! I sent out ten blessing packages today. Seven were requested and three were inspired.

I believe I've sent more than 30 by mail and distributed at least 30 locally (although I haven't been doing that as much lately) since February. That's pretty respectable. And it feels good that I'm not losing steam, I'm actually gaining it and really thinking about the potential implications of expanding the project in various ways. I'm on fire!

It seems that the packages grow with each batch. I end up sending multiple art cards, poems, and quotes, as well as the artful envelopes and tokens. Instead of changing what I send, I just increase it by each new design. It's like the more I give, the more I want to give. I believe this project is the most motivating action I've ever undertaken. I can't give enough. I can't create enough. Even in my quiet, non-active moments, I feel the underlying pleasure of knowing I have this to come back to. Creatively blessing people brings me so much joy, words are ridiculously inadequate to describe it. Wow. If this is what living our bliss feels like, I highly recommend it!

I've been doing some research online to see what other types of kindness and generosity sites/projects are out there. There are some great ones (see the links in the sidebar), but they are few and there isn't anyone doing exactly what I'm doing, which as an artist, gives me a lot of satisfaction. I thrive on being at the edges of humanity's creative evolution, bringing truly new and unique ideas (or old and forgotten ones) into our collective experience. In our culture of materialism, giving something away for free to people we don't know, especially something that we've created (as opposed to something bought and passed on), is a unique and new idea. I'm not bartering. I'm not seeking anything in return (except maybe to get more exposure so that I can give more away).

Someone who emailed me today has inspired me to consider making sets of cards for people to request and distribute in their local communities. It would be a great way to slowly increase my exposure while passing blessings on. If you're interested in participating in the Conspiracy in this manner, email me (blessingconspiracy@hotmail.com).

(If you're a new reader, check out the standing invitation to see how you can be blessed or pass on the blessings.)

*

This is how things should be: "In the Babemba tribe of South Africa, when a person acts irresponsibly or unjustly, he is placed in the center of the village, alone and unfettered. All work ceases, and everyone in the village gathers in a large circle around the accused. Then each person in the tribe speaks to the accused, one at a time, recalling the good things the person has done in his life. Every experience that can be recalled with detail and accuracy is recounted. All his positive attributes, good deeds, strengths, and kindnesses are recited carefully. This ceremony often lasts for several days. At the end, a joyous celebration takes place, and the person is symbolically and literally welcomed back into the tribe." -Jack Kornfield, *The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home