Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Kind and Creative Every Day


I recently joined two different blog community commitments for 2008 - Creative Every Day and Everyday Kindness. I find the camaraderie and support in the creative blogosphere to be uplifting and inspiring. I haven't been as intentional about these as I'd like, but I'm finding that my every day life already contains a lot of creativity and kindness. Although I've been participating in my own quiet ways, I haven't been blogging about it, so I thought I'd share what I can remember since the beginning of the year. I think it's pretty cool that I can find something creative and kind nearly every day.

1-discovering a healthier way of dealing with a long-term, in-home conflict
2-heartsharing blog post about my kids
3-
4-
5-important heartsharing blog post about the phase of creative evolution I'm experiencing
6-decoupaging the late holiday gifts for family
7-designing a digital newsletter for the non-profit I volunteer for
8-blessing package for a fellow Pride Board member who is in the beginning stages of divorce
9-divinatory reading for myself
10-researching/brainstorming for new art idea
11- researching/brainstorming for new art idea
12- (read a novel all day: is it creative to experience another life and world for a little while?)
13-important heartsharing blog post on the new art project I'm envisioning
14- researching/brainstorming for new art idea
15- finished art doll for a mail art swap
16- created envelope for goodies going out in mail art swap

As I reflect on the last 16 days and consider what I have done that is kind, I realize that although I have not been as intentionally kind to others as I hope to become, I am being kind to myself nearly every day. I think this is valuable because I fell prey to the typical modern woman conundrum that is career + family + community = little care for myself over the last 7 years. Being kind to my self is a significant aspect of my personal evolution right now, especially regarding my health. Every day that I choose health through my eating and activity choices is a day of great kindness to myself. Every day that I willingly sit with the discomfort that arises from not engaging in my eating addiction is a day of great kindness to myself; especially days that include small steps towards integrating my shadow. Although my inner critic tells me it's totally self-centered (in a bad way) to count up kindnesses to myself, I'm going to be open to it.

1-discovering a healthier way of dealing with a long-term, in-home conflict
2-is it a kindness to write a blog post that is on my heart? I know it is kind to myself to take the time to journal and be open to the insights that come through writing. Is it a kindness to share my story with others? If so, is it always or only when someone gains something from it (i.e. posts that are commented on by others, indicating their appreciation of a gift in the writing)?
3-
4-
5-giving myself two used Isabel Allende novels
6-making the heart space to give to someone who isn't easy to give to
7-tolerating my daughter's overwhelmingness without getting grumpy
8-giving a blessing package for new friend in the beginning stages of divorce
9-
10-giving an elderly stranger my full presence to listen to his difficult circumstances even though there was nothing I could do for him
11-
12-giving my son my full presence to listen as he processes intense experiences without bombarding him with my attempts at guidance
13-
14-bought myself a book that could be vital to the art project emerging within; passionate prayer for a friend going through a difficult situation
15-compassion, patience and speaking the truth kindly with someone difficult to love
16-holding myself back from expressing my frustration with my work situation in order to see the gift in the struggle and take a mindful, compassionate approach to solving the issue

2 Comments:

Blogger Kind Claudia said...

Hurray! This is really wonderful. I think that learning to be kind to yourself is the true beginning of a kind life. Without self kindness, how can we really be kind to others? Hurray for your work.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Kara Chipoletti Jones of GriefAndCreativity dot com said...

Thank you so much for introducing me to Creative Everyday! I'm loving it!
miracles,
k-

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home