Sunday, May 28, 2006

Reasons/Ways I am Blocked to Giving

I have been reading MJ Ryan's book The Giving Heart and was struck by the section on our blocks to certain forms of giving. I may be generous with my creativity and find it easy to give my art blessings away to the world, but I have blocks against other forms of generosity. Although I am very generous in the workplace and with my family in what I give them from the financial abundance provided by my work, I have huge blocks against intimate giving. I have latent intuitive and healing abilities that I don't use or even nurture for myself any longer. I don't follow through on impulses to reach out to friends in pain by phone or in person or even with a hug. I am much more comfortable giving materials gifts, whether created or purchased, than giving emotional gifts to those I'm closest to. I am a good listener as often as I can be, but I only give that gift when "requested." I don't know how to draw stories out of people I seek to witness (which really is everyone). It's easier for me to feel empathy and compassion for someone through various forms of media than in person.

I have always had generous tendencies in some form or another. But when I was a young adult my intuitive and healing gifts were often rejected or unappreciated by the recipients I wanted to give to most and I suffered for it. I closed up.

I need to open and expand again. I want to make my heart as big as the world and learn to be generous in every aspect of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home