Sunday, June 11, 2006

What I'm Up Against


I stumbled across this quote today...

Jordan J. Cohen, president of the Association of American Medical Colleges, told The Washington Post recently that the best advice came from his mother: "My mother told me never to accept gifts from strangers. If a stranger wants to give you a gift, it's very likely they want something in return."

How many people will approach my project with suspicion because of a belief like this? Is this one of the consequences of capitalism, that we don't trust any gift that doesn't come with a string attached or an expectation of something in return?

I believe that looking from a bigger perspective is necessary. There does appear to be a rule of reciprocity in the universe, which many people call Karma. I have received unexpected gifts from giving out blessings through this project, but not from the recipients. They have been the gifts of self-love, a fulfilled life, and renewed inspiration.

I hope that my project can help foster more trust in our natural capacity for generosity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home